Internet Kubuntu

OpenDNS

We’ve been using OpenDNS for as long as it has been open to the public.  I watch an insane amount of IPTV which I will talk about in an other post.  When watching one of my shows(can’t remember which) I saw a segment about OpenDNS.

Alright here is why it is better then,  and you should use it instead of the DNS provided by your ISP I’m going to asume you know what DNS is if you don’t click on the link to find out.

Here is what OpenDNS says there service can do for you.

OpenDNS is a service that makes your Internet faster and more reliable, and keeps you safe from phishing Web sites trying to steal your personal information.

It makes your Internet smarter, too, sending you to the helpful OpenDNS Guide when a Web site is down or offline. We set it up for these reasons, as well as to limit access to certain Web sites.

OpenDNS is customizable for you.

Personal shortcuts let you type something short and easy to remember into your address bar and automatically be taken to a Web site of your choice.

Set up shortcuts on OpenDNS Guide (look for the “Create shortcut” link at the top) and start zipping your way around the Web now.

Enjoy your safer, faster, smarter and more reliable Internet.

Why is it saver? I’m sure that you have heard about Phishing websites, sites that steal user accounts from e-bay and bank websites for the shear purpose of defrauding money from people who put there information into the forms provided by the fake site.

OpenDNS even prevents you from accidentally visiting Phishing websites.

And I most say yes sites load up faster using OpenDNS in comparison to our provider Wavebroadband(previously known as Charter).

So how do I know what DNS is being used now?

[bash]nslookup google.com[/bash]
Will tell you what DNS your using.

So your convinced now that you want OpenDNS how exactly do you set it up in Kubuntu.

Let’s make it happen.  The easy way is using Terminal:

In Terminal type:

[bash]sudo nano /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf[/bash]
To open en start editing the dhcp client config.

find the line:
[bash]#prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;[/bash]
And replace it with:
[bash]prepend domain-name-servers 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220;[/bash]
You can paste stuff into terminal by clicking shift+insert.
Save and close the file ctrl+x then y then  enter.

Before this will work you have to restart your network you can do this by restarting your machine but why do all that just run this in terminal:

[bash]sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart[/bash]

Let’s test to see if we are using OpenDNS open your favorite browser and copy and paste this to the address bar:

If everything worked then you should a page with this on it:

Welcome to OpenDNS!

Your Internet is safer, faster, and smarter
because you’re using OpenDNS.

Thank you!

If you get the Oops page then restart you machine and try again.  If it still doesn’t work, please post a comment.

Happy surfing.

11 Comments

• Craig
    August 31, 2008 - 4:39 am | Permalink

Hey Madberry,

I tried the OpenDNS mods but alas I received the OpenDNS Oops page! I even tried to change the DNS setting in my NetCom Router but couldn’t find the option. :(
    One other thing… I am in Australia and I was wondering if the DNS changes you suggest would be effective as my browsing still seems slow (compared to when I am in WinXp – I run dual boot PC for now)

Looking forward to reading your comments..
    Cheers…Craig

• August 31, 2008 - 5:20 pm | Permalink

Craig wrote:

I tried the OpenDNS mods but alas I received the OpenDNS Oops page!…[snip]

Could you post the contents of the following file:

cat /etc/network/interfaces

[mad]Berry

• Craig
    September 1, 2008 - 3:43 am | Permalink

Here you go…

craig@Cranks:~$ cat /etc/network/interfaces
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

craig@Cranks:~$

• September 2, 2008 - 9:50 pm | Permalink

you did restart the computer just to be sure right?

And there is no # before the DNS server line right?

[mad]Berry

• Craig
    September 2, 2008 - 10:25 pm | Permalink

Yep…. restarted the pc and there is no # before DNS server line.

Generally there is a pause before any pages load… longer pause than I recall when in WinXP…not that I have been there for a while now!

Thanks for getting back to me…

Craig

• September 2, 2008 - 10:32 pm | Permalink

mmm ok please post the contents of:

sudo nano /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf

And run the following command and post the results:

nslookup google.com

[mad]Berry

• Craig
    September 3, 2008 - 12:12 am | Permalink

No worries mate…. here you go!

sudo nano /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf

send host-name "";
    #send dhcp-client-identifier 1:0:a0:24:ab:fb:9c;
    #send dhcp-lease-time 3600;
    #supersede domain-name "fugue.com home.vix.com";
    prepend domain-name-servers 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220;
    request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
            domain-name, domain-name-servers, host-name,

Address: 72.14.207.99
    Name:   google.com
    Address: 64.233.187.99

Cheers…Craig

• September 3, 2008 - 3:03 pm | Permalink

Hey Craig,

According to you nslookup query you are using OpenDNS.
    From the nslookup part:

Server:         208.67.222.222
    Address:        208.67.222.222#53

You don’t have a proxy set in your browser by any chance have you?

[mad]Berry

• Craig
    September 3, 2008 - 6:44 pm | Permalink

Hey [mad]Berry,

Thanks for taking the time to answer!

Nope… no proxy set in the browsers (Firefox or Konqueror)….. I haven’t restared my router for a while so I might try that when I get homw to see what happens. I think in the past this has helped with other issues… though I am not sure why.

Craig

• Craig
    September 4, 2008 - 1:34 am | Permalink

Hey [mad]Berry,

Just checked proxy settings in FireFox and selected ‘No proxy’ (was Use System Proxy Settings) and I must say WOW! Big difference in speed!! Konqueror had No proxy selected.

Thanks for you advise and patience!!

Cheers…Craig

• September 4, 2008 - 1:51 pm | Permalink

Craig,

Cool I’m glad it’s working now :-)

[mad]Berry